What is “national theatre”? What is the role of those institutions in today's world? Directors of national stages from all over the world will have a chance to discuss those issues for the third time. Comments and lectures by renowned intellectuals will honour the debate.
This year, to highlight the 250th Jubilee of the National Theatre, the Symposium will be opened to the public.
National Theatres’ Symposium – Agenda
Friday, November 20
- Opening words.
- Keynote speaker: Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o.
- Panel 1 – The Actuality of National Theatres. Initiating speakers: Karin Bergmann (Burgtheater, Austria), Magnus Florin (Dramaten, Sweden).
- Panel 1 – The Actuality of National Theatres. Debate.
- The Birthday Gift – Burgtheater for Teatr Narodowy. Philipp Hauss: Kantor Lecture.
Saturday, November 21
- Keynote speaker: Homi Bhabha.
- Panel 2 – The Nationality of National Theatres. Initiating speakers: Neil Murray (National Theatre of Scotland; Abbey Theatre, Ireland), Fumio Owada (Japan Arts Council).
- Keynote speaker: Elżbieta Matynia.
- Panel 2 – The Nationality of National Theatres. Debate.
- Symposium Closing.
Proceedings in English. Introductions in German and Japanese translated into Polish and English.
JUBILEUSZ 250-LECIA TEATRU NARODOWEGO:
PATRONI MEDIALNI JUBILEUSZU: